Monday, August 4, 2008

Test Hike



On July 26-27 we went on a "test hike" to see how our gear and joints would perform on El Camino. From Cades Cove, we went up Gregory Ridge trail to the AT and stayed at a shelter at Mollies Ridge. We did 10.5 miles out and then back for a total of 21 miles. We averaged about 2 miles per hour. Click here for a map of the park. (Cades Cove is to the west.)

Some highlights:

  • Lots of quiet and peace, time to think
  • Good time together
  • Many wild blueberries and blackberries
  • No rain, some breeze
  • Giving ourselves trailnames (Bean Burger and Tofu -- BB&T)

And some lowlights:

  • Being really sore
  • Sleeping on a cutting board (shoulda brought a pad)
  • The shelter's water supply having dried up (we had enough to make it back; more inconvenient than dangerous)
  • Forgetting to tell anyone our trailnames!


It was a good learning experience. Next time, we'll take less stuff, more food and water.



4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You can pick your own trail names? You don't have to wait for someone to bestow them upon you? I guess that means I'm Corn Dog (CD). Now I just need to find a trail where people will call me that.

Jennifer said...

Andrew and I have discussed this, and we think that "Corn Dog" may be more suited for him, because he is tall and skinny. And he does love nitrates and grease. I am going to be "Candy Apple," because I like the idea of taking something healthy (fruit) and dipping it into a vat of high fructose corn syrup and red dye number 5.

Copeland's Coffee Break said...

Ya'lls hike sounded like quite the adventrue!! I love the trail names and will have to remember them for future reference :) Your trip is coming up fast! I'm praying!! Love and miss you both!!! oh and my blog is sharonhannah.blogspot.com i don't post much but there it is anyway :)
sharon

Andrew said...

Well, I wouldn't say we discussed it, Jennifer... to quote:

"I have now dubbed you "Corn Dog" and me "Candy Apple." You can thank me with a gift certificate to Sonic."

dubbing = discussion?

I think I'll dub myself something else... maybe Manchego or Emmental. Not the best trail name, perhaps, but better than Stinking Bishop.