Friday, August 29, 2008

Pics from the Combe de Savoy



I've added some pictures from our time in this valley (combe). This area is very beautiful, pictures can't really capture it, but I'll keep trying. Sometimes I mistake mountains in the distance for clouds. Mountains can't be that high up there can they? But there they are. The larger cites (Albertville, Chambery, Grenoble) are in the valleys, by the rivers, and the villages inch their way up to the mountain passes.

I've posted some pictures in the Picasa web albums to the right.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fondu! And you spoke French! How did anyone understand?

I believe you actually went to une pâtisserie, a pastry shop. Une boulangerie is a bakery, for bread. Or maybe you visited une boulangerie-pâtisserie, where one can purchase both tartes and bagettes.

The French take these distinctions very seriously.

Andrew said...

Thankfully we live in America and have one word for both: Wal-Mart

PC said...

How did you get that triangle above the a? I'll bet you've been waiting a long time to use that one... ;-p

Jennifer said...

I just cut and pasted from the French-English dictionary. It's called a "circumflex." Or a "little hat."

Jennifer said...

UCLA 27- UT 24

"The Bruins stunned No. 18 UT with a recharged offense in the second half and strutted out of the Rose Bowl with a 27-24 overtime victory in front of a raucous crowd of 68,546."

I blame Andrew. He was there. He probably didn't wear his special magic game day shirt.