Saturday, September 27, 2008

Half way there

Hard to believe, but if you put one foot in front of the other long enough, you´ll go a long way. We are 25km from Leon. The previous few days have been over the meseta, a mostly flat, hot, arid yet beautiful part of the country. It is so much different than the first week. Check out the pictures on picasa.

Our feet hurt, but its not terrible. We are learning our limits and to not push them. Still headed west.

Internet connections in rural Spain are as hard to find as fresh spinach (man, I miss that stuff). But I´ll try to keep you all as up to date as possible.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Are there new pictures?

Last night, I got to go backstage at the Opry. It was Marty Stuart's 50th birthday party (and the cake was not good, but it was very pretty). He sang a beautiful rendition of his song "Pilgrim" and I thought of you all. He accompanied himself on the mandolin. Here's the lyrics to the first verse:

I am a lonesome pilgrim, far from home
And what a journey I have known
I might be tired and weary, but I am strong
'Cause pilgrims walk, but not alone
There's been a hand to guide me along the way
And it held me up when I went astray
And as I stand before that valley wide
It will lead me to the other side

If Marty were in my English class, I might point out that being a "lonesome pilgrim" who is "not alone" is somewhat contradictory, but he did not ask for my imput.

Oh! And it was a great show, with Keith Urban, Dierks Bentley, the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

PC said...

Sounds like a good show! We can identify.

Did the other verses talk about being really hungry and eating a whole can of whipped cream? Or eating at two kebab places in one night?

Did his toenails fall off too?

Jennifer said...

I don't know about Marty's toenails. We aren't really that close. However, MY toenail fell off, finally, to great fanfare. It was awful to have it wobbling there on my toe, like a loose tooth.

PC said...

Breaking news.... my little toenail just fell off today.

Ivy's lost two to date and might still lose another one.